Become a Member
Meet the Secretary and Chair of Communications
Chris Sinclair is an associate professor of mathematics who studies number theory and probability. He has been President of the University Senate, a past-President of United Academics, and is currently the Secretary/Treasurer of the American Association of University Professors.
What we do:
- The communications committee, its chair/UA secretary, and UA staff coordinate emails, web content, and social media on behalf of your union.
- We edit communications written by UA staff and board members.
- We coordinate with the Organizing and Membership Committee and the Contract Action Team on messaging to members and potential members.
- We work with interested members to craft and disseminate communications they want to share with their union.
Who does it:
- Secretary and committee chair Pat Curtin
- UA Staff Kristy Hammond
- Communications committee–members of the EC, UA staff, and volunteer UA members from across campus.
Get involved in doing it, too:
- Email Pat to join the committee; contact Pat or Kristy with information you want shared with UA or other helpful ideas.
- Time commitment varies, but can be as little as commenting on a draft communication every couple of weeks; with bargaining and new member recruitment, there will also be opportunities to help more frequently.
With your help, what we’d like to do more of:
- Work on consistency in UA communications including a style guide.
- Discuss messaging and tone both in general and for particular situations as bargaining evolves.
- Designate and train media liaisons from UA membership to help communicate our values more broadly.
- Create more consistent communications such as “know your contract” articles for email blasts or the website.
- Spread comms committee members across other committees to better coordinate information and messages.
- Scripting and planning for remote events like town halls.